Thursday, March 23, 2006

So beautiful outside...

Here it is, the first official week of Spring. The average high temp here in Wichita for this time of year is 54 degrees. It was about 32 today...and we've got snow. Three weeks ago, we had the air conditioner on when it hit record high temps in the 80's. This has been some of the craziest weather that I can recall.

We've got a little over an inch of beautiful undisturbed white snowy goodness outside. Well, semi-undisturbed. We let Spike out when we came home from dinner around 9 and he romped all around the yard. In weather like this we never have to clip him out on his tether. He stays right in his yard, romping and bouncing like a wild rabbit.

It's so quiet outside. Granted, it's late and all of my neighbours are quite a bit older than we are, but still. I love nights like this. I love watching the snow fall and sitting in front of the fireplace. Henry will bring the laptop into the living room and work on things for clients and I'll settle into my stitching spot and stitch a little or curl up with an afghan and drink cocoa. He bought me the most awesome Dulce de Leche cocoa mix from Target last Fall. I had barely touched it until the last few days.

When I came home from my job testing today, he came straight up from his basement office to ask me how it went. He was so sweet, helping me take my boots off for me and warming my hands up since it was so cold outside. Usually, my Escape Hybrid is kept in the garage but he had it in the driveway so he could set up for a photo shoot for Ebay goods. He made that everything was out of the way so that I could park inside tonight. He knows that even in snowy weather I cannot resist a floss sale and that I really shouldn't be out in the cold scraping ice off my car. So I'll probably be going to Michael's either tomorrow or Friday to go buy floss for the PR "Dawn" SAL. How do you say no to a SAL like that when the girl the chart was created for says, "Ah, c'mon and stitch with me!"

Speaking of stitching, I swear that I am going to put some stitches into May I Have This Dance soon. I'm still so intimidated by all that over one...and by the gridding that I did. I keep waivering, wondering if I gridded it right or not. And I don't know if any of my lokscroll rods are long enough. I think I have some rods that Vana made for me that I can baste it on to. I may have to go pick up another pair of side bars, though. I've made some wonderful online friends in the stitching world in the last few months. Just incredible people who worry if I don't post every couple of days or so. It's so touching that people who have never met me in person care so much.

Another plus is I *finally* have my good anti-inflammatory again! I actually slept really good last night because of it. So major thanks given there!

I have so many things to be thankful for. I have an incredible husband who treats me like a princess. I have a beautiful daughter who is just the most awesome 8 yr old anyone could ask for...and did I mention that she's beautiful? *grins* I have wonderful friends who give me unconditional love and acceptance. And my Gran...my dear, sweet Gran, who is all the way down in Midland, TX, 12 hours away from me. Even though she can't really hear me when I call her, she knows that I care enough to call and check on her. She's the most precious thing in my life right now. I still can't believe that my Gran is 93. She'll be 94 at the end of September. If I close my eyes, I can see her snowy white hair and beautiful porcelain skin...her crystal blue eyes and her smile. I truly love my Gran's smile. I love everything about my Gran. I miss being little and snuggling up with her to listen to her stories about growing up poor in the country. I miss watching her get ready for Eastern Star meetings and seeing her dressed up in formals. She always brought something home for me from those meetings: a cookie or two or some homemade fudge and nuts. She'd come in and tell me all about how pretty everyone was. She never talked about what actually happened at the meetings, but I suppose that's part of being in Eastern Star. It's kind of like Vegas. What happens at Eastern Star stays at Eastern Star. I'm pretty sure that they weren't whooping it up with male strippers, but I used to imagine grand tea parties and the like.

Maybe that's what I need to do. There's a new little tea room here in Wichita. Maybe I should get Jessie, Anita and some of the other leather girls together and go for high tea. I haven't had a good tea party in a long time. That would make a good birthday party. Then there's always the Old English Tea at St James in May. The lemon curd tarts are awesome and the Spice Merchant always has some phenomenal tea for us. Last year, it was ginger peach and I fell in love! Hey, I totally forgot that Chelmsford Tea opened up not too far from my house. They make great tea sandwiches and their tea selection is amazing! They have an Earl Grey with a touch of vanilla in it that just makes me smile thinking about it.

Good lord...I've babbled and rambled long enough. You're probably all bored to death if you've even bothered to read this at all.

I'm going to take one more long look at the snow under the moon light and then go snuggle up in bed with Henry and Spike...my two favourite guys.

2 comments:

Rachel Leigh Smith said...

Henry is SUCH a sweetheart!!! I hope I'm that lucky someday.

Have a tea party! We had one at work last week and it was so relaxing and fun. Even though I was working the whole time it was still fun, lol.

pethair-xstitcher said...

Glad to hear good news...I just discovered Dulche de Leche too this past week, in ice cream, cakes, cookies....bye bye diet...glad that it is not available here! (giggle)
Spring is on it's way and the days are getting longer....and you will be fine with MIHTD....loads of hugs
and enjoy the tea!