Friday, February 09, 2007

I'm Knittin'!!

I always had an interest in learning how to knit, but I never could find anyone to teach me. Gran crocheted, but she didn't knit. Mom said she took a class, made a sweater and decided that she hated knitting...now she just makes a buttload of afghans every winter. So I went to Heritage Hut and bought some needles and yarn and got Mary to teach me the very basics. I went to her knitting sessions for a few weeks, but never really felt like I fit in there. Everyone seemed as if they were wound a little too tightly for me. So I did a search for knitting groups in Wichita and found a group that is perfect for me!

I've been going to Wichita Knit In Public functions since December. What an fantastic group of ladies! If you get stuck or screw up, someone there knows how to fix what you messed up. Gwen and Ingrid are almost always there. So are Carol and Kathy. We're an oddball mix of girls, but we have so much fun together! There are more than 70 members of the meet-up group, but only about 20 or so active members. I've learned more from these ladies than I ever dreamed!

I finished several scarves and I'm working on a felted needlecase right now. It's my in-between project...the one that I pick up when I can't look at whatever it is that I'm working on at the time. I taught myself how to knit cables! I was watching one of the episodes of Knitty Gritty that I had recorded and saw Janet Szabo on there demo'ing squares from her Aran Afghan. Actually seeing the cabling being done made it not so scary. So I found myself an easy pattern and headed off to Michael's for some pretty yarn. It's coming along quite nicely. If I can get it finished in time, I'm going to give it to Mom for her birthday.

Enough for now. I'll post some photos eventually...promise.

Tammy
"Impeachment...not just for blowjobs anymore."

1 comment:

rkyarns said...

I'm moving to Wichita in a month. I'm trying to find a nice LYS. I've been to Heritage Hut, and didnt fit in either. And plus, I'm a huge yarn snob and didnt like her selection. I'm living in DC metro area now- part of the yarn snobish problem.

So, my question is, where do you shop? Or where do others go?

thanks!
Rebecca

ps- maybe I'll see you knittin' in public!